Saturday, January 10, 2015

Double Chocolate Pie



From the moment I saw the scene featuring it in the film Julie and Julia I've wanted to make a chocolate pie. It haunts me every time I watch the movie (as my husband will tell you, I've seen it a lot of times) so finally decided to make one. My brother wanted me to make one for Three Kings' Day celebrations. Honestly, I was a little scared of tempering the chocolate mixture with the raw egg yolks, but it went great! As always my hubby told me "I told you so... I knew you where gonna make it perfectly." Gotta love him! He's my rock! Hope you guys enjoy this double chocolate pie! It was amazing! Enjoy!!



Ingredients:

A 9 inch pie crust
1 1/2  cups of white sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp of salt
3 cups of 2% milk
3/4 cup of semisweet chocolate chips
2 (1 ounce) squares of unsweetened chocolate, chopped
4 egg yolks, beaten
1 Tablespoon of vanilla extract


Procedure:


Take a pre-made pie crust from the fridge and let it thaw for 15 minutes.

 

Once thawed, pinch it with a fork.


Cut out a piece of parchment paper (sized just a bit larger than the 9 inch pie).
Stretch it out over the pie.


Gently spread a pound of dry beans or pie weights over it.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.


Once the pie has baked remove the beans and parchment paper.


Get a 2 qt sauce pan.


Toss in the sugar, cornstarch, and salt then stir together.


Add the milk.


Add the semi chocolate chips to the mixture.


Add the unsweetened chocolate.


Start gently mixing at a medium temperature. 


It will start to het darker and thicker. Be warned though, it's gonna take quite a bit time!
Don't worry, though it's totally worth the wait!


Once it thickens it's important to get it off the stove.
In a separate bowl beat the 4 egg yolks, by themselves.


Slowly add a little bit of the chocolate mixture to the eggs and start combining them.
It's important to add the chocolate to the eggs little by little to temper the eggs slowly (otherwise you get chocolate covered scrambled eggs!)


Once you've added half of the chocolate to the eggs pour it all back into the saucepan and put it on medium-high heat. Keep mixing it until it just starts to boil.


Once it's thickened up a little add the mixture to the baked pie.


Refrigerate (for at least 3 hours) and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment