Friday, September 25, 2015

Chocolate Soufflé



This is a Martha Stewart recipe. My brother had been nagging me to make him a chocolate soufflé for a while now (for a while meaning almost two years). So finally I told him to go into my Pinterest account and find one. He chose this recipe. So I checked that I had every ingredient, and started making it. I'd been hesitant (ok, scared) of making it because I've heard chocolate soufflé is one of the most difficult recipes to make, but after making it I don't think it's that difficult. The key to making the soufflé is to not deflate the egg whites when combining the egg white mixture with the soufflé base. I really hope you guys enjoy this recipe as much as my brother and hubby did! Don't fear the soufflé, embrace it! Until the next one!




Ingredients:

Unsalted butter
Sugar for the ramekins 
1/4 cup sugar
8 ounces of semisweet chocolate
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 large egg yolks
4 large egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar


Procedure:





Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a pot of water, bring it to a simmer.




Put the ramekins on a baking sheet.




Lightly butter the ramekins.




Coat the buttered ramekins with sugar. Tap out the excess.




Cut the semisweet chocolate into little pieces.




Put the chocolate in a large heatproof bowl.




Add the Vanilla extract.




Add the water.




Set the bowl over a pot of simmering water.




Mix until you see the chocolate has melted.




Remove from heat and let it cool at room temperature.




Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites.




Lightly beat the egg yolks.




Once the chocolate mixture is cool, add the egg yolks. Set aside.




Add the egg whites to the stand mixer.




Add the cream of tartar




Beat the egg whites on medium-high until soft peaks form. This will take about 2 minutes.




Once you see the soft peaks...




Start adding the sugar.




Beat until stiff, glossy peaks form. This will take about 5 minutes.




This is the way it's supposed to look.




You'll see a peak form at the tip of your whisk and at the center of your bowl.




Add about a third of the egg white mixture into the chocolate soufflé base. 

Mix from the center cutting through and lifting from the bottom of the bowl. Make sure to keep turning the bowl as you go.




Do it slowly. This is the most important step.




Add the rest of the egg mixture.




Keep folding, slowly and steadily.




I tried filling it up to the inner line on some, and all the way to the top on another (the yellow one).




In a bigger ramekin I put the remaining mixture. I made sure to lightly tap the ramekin's bottom against my countertop to remove any air and avoid forming bubbles.




In the oven is was nearly double the size you see in this photograph. It was beautiful!




(It deflated because I spent a little time taking pictures.) 




Add the powdered sugar.




Enjoy!




This is the most amazing soufflé ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment