Friday, October 2, 2015

Vanilla Custard (Flan)

I love to eat and make custard (a.k.a. flan). My husband's grandmother is pretty well known for her custard, but my husband's never liked that or any other custard. He just didn't like custard, period! I'd never made it until a few years ago but I'd always liked custard so I decided to try making it. My husband refused to eat custard, but he decided to make an exception for me and taste mine. Then he just kept on eating it and now he keeps asking me to make it! I usually make them in a water bath in the oven, but recently I found a double boiler that I can use on the stove top so I decided to try it out.


This is the double boiler.



Ingredients:

Caramel:

1 cup of white sugar
3 Tablespoons of water

Custard:

6 whole eggs
1 can of condensed milk
1 can of evaporated milk
1 Tablespoon of vanilla extract


Procedure:

Caramel:



Add the sugar and water to the saucepan.




Set the saucepan on medium high heat.




The sugar will start to darken.




Once the sugar has turned a dark amber color, turn off the stove.





Custard:



Put the evaporated milk in the blender.




Add the condensed milk.




Add the vanilla extract.




Add the eggs.




Mix everything until well blended.




After the caramel has cooled add the custard mixture.


No comments:

Post a Comment