Thursday, August 16, 2012

Gratin Dauphinois – Scalloped potatoes au Gratin


Google's tribute to Julia Child.
Book were this recipe appears

Yesterday was Julia Child’s 100th birthday. I think there is no better way to celebrate her than making one of her recipes. Gratin Dauphinois – Scalloped potatoes au Gratin. It’s a potatoe dish she made on her twenty-eighth show on the series of the French chef. The episode was the potatoe show. Potatoes are very versatile and I must confess I love them! When I was a child I used to watch a program on tv that had a woman with an amazing sense of humor, little did I know it was Julia Child! I have a lot of respect for her and admire her love of cooking! Sorry for my pictures I'm new at it, hope to get better soon, that way I can upload videos too!! 
 
Gratin Dauphinois – Scalloped potatoes au Gratin
(for 6 people)
Ingredients:

2 lbs of boiling potatoes, peeled
1 cup of milk
The potatoes with the cheese
1 small clove mashed garlic                                
1 tsp of salt
1/8 tsp pepper
4 Tb of butter

Procedure:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees
Slice potatoes 1/8 inch thick and drop into a bowl of cold water. Bring milk to a boil in a baking dish with garlic, salt and pepper. Drain the potatoes, add them to the boiling milk and distribute butter over them. Bake in middle level of the preheated oven for about 25 minutes, until milk is absorbed, potatoes are tender and the top has browned. (If not served immediately, keep warm, uncovered, adding a bit more milk if potatoes seem dry.)

Tips:

Serve with roasts, steaks or chops.
I used the same glass platter that I use to make pies.
After the 25 minutes I add Pecorino Romano cheese and let it melt.

No comments:

Post a Comment