Saturday, August 18, 2012

Homemade butter


             I was talking with my husband about the changes we should start doing in our lifestyle. We made a list of the stuff we use more at home and at the top of our list is butter! So today’s recipe is going to be home made butter. Yesterday I started looking up recipes in my books and the Internet. On you tube I found two amazing videos. (I’m going to post them) One of the videos is about doing the butter without any electric appliances and in the other one is done with a food processor.
Heavy cream in jar

I thought it was going to be extremely difficult, but it is actually super easy. You just have to put a cup of heavy cream in a jar and start shaking! My hubby helped me with the dirty work. We decided to first try the one without the appliance. Let me tell you something, yes it is possible but you should definitely use a small jar, mine was too big and after 40 minutes shaking it my hubby gave up. 
Heavy cream in kitchen aid.
 We decided to use the kitchen aid mixer (I have the classic) and in only 8 minutes we had homemade butter!  We made one batch unsalted and another salted. It tastes fluffy and very light. 
Final Product
We need fat in our body, which is an essential part of our diet. The problem is that we are not getting natural fats; we are consuming processed fats. The butter we buy in the grocery store has been processed and has a lot of cholesterol, which is not good for us. And it is definitely overpriced! So what better than to make one or two batches at home and save a lot of money especially in this economy?
There are a lot of possibilities with butter. Later I will be posting a recipe of a hazelnut and orange butter that is amazing! I would love to hear from you guys and your butter. Enjoy! 
Home Made Butter

Ingredients:
2 cups of heavy cream
Procedure:
Put, in a kitchen aid mixer with the whisk attachment, the 2 cups of heavy cream and beat away until you see that the butter has formed. The liquid that is left is real buttermilk.
Tips:
You can store the buttermilk in the freezer and use it in other recipes that ask for buttermilk. For example a recipe of scones I will be posting shortly.

  Super veggie delight - Video How to...


No comments:

Post a Comment